Amp Energy Drink Review : Ingredients, Side Effects, Nutrition facts
Amp Energy Drink is a product of PepsiCo from year 2009. The drink was previously sold under the brand name of Mountain dew as an energy drink. There have been several variants of the Amp products released in the past to compete with leading energy drinks such as Monster and Red Bull.
However PepsiCo completed a major overhaul of the product line and reduced the products to 3 major lines of Amp; Amp Energy Boost, Amp Energy Focus, Amp Energy Active. These lines have been solely focused on in recent campaigns and serve as the major brand products for Amp.
The ingredients in the AMP energy drink are listed below:
- Carbonated Water
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (As sugar)
- Citric Acid
- Natural Flavor
- Guarana Seed Extract (For Energy)
- Sodium Benzoate (widely used preservative)
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate (Protects teeth)
- Caffeine (For Energy)
- Gum Arabic
- Ascorbic Acid (For longer lasting flavour)
- Riboflavin (VITAMIN B2)
- Calcium Pantothenate (VITAMIN B5)
- Panax Ginseng Root Extract (The “real” Ginseng)
- Brominated Vegetable Oil
- Yellow 5
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (VITAMIN B6)
- Natural Apple Extract (For Coloring)
- Cyanocobalamin (VITAMIN B12)
- Blue 1
1) Guarana (seed) – Guarana is a popular energy drink ingredient that is sourced from the Amazon Forest. It is the only source of caffeine content in the drink (generally in most energy drinks) as it contains significant amount of caffeine.
2) Ginseng– Ginseng is a powerful antioxidant commonly found in China that is used to reduce feeling of lethargy and stimulate energy levels.
3) Niacin – Also known Vitamin 3 helps convert your food intake to glucose which in turn supplies the body with energy. It is also involved I the production of cholesterol and fatty acids.
4) Taurine – is an essential mineral that helps in the functioning of the brain as well as managing mineral and water levels in the blood. It is used to help managed conditions like heart failure, increased blood pressure and high cholesterol and is naturally found in meat and dairy products.
5) Cynocobalamin – is a vitamin that is used to help regulate the levels of sugar in the blood. It is the man-made form of the vitamin B12 which plays a major role in the functioning of the immune system and health of metabolism and blood cells.
The AMP Energy Drink is available in 8 flavours :
- Passion Fruit
- Watermelon Zero
- Strawberry Limeade
- Wild Berry Cherry Boosted
- Mandarin Orange Boosted
- Cherry Blast
- Blueberry White Grape Zero
Caffeine Content :
Amp energy drink contains 142 mg caffeine per 16 oz can, which equates to 8.88 mgs of caffeine per fluid ounce or in a more general sense 30.01mg/100 ml.
1) AMP is mostly used for getting instant energy, it helps you stay focused and you do more physical activity than normal.
2) Amp provides a fast burst of energy that may be needed before intense physical activity.
3) The various vitamins and minerals also helps you stay fit and healthy.
Unlike other energy drinks, AMP tastes salty but its not tasteless. Quite a lot of people likes the salty taste.
Amp Energy Drink Side Effects :
1) One common effect that you get from almost every energy drink is that it disturbs your sleeping cycle. People who drink it late in the day or during night time.
2) Amp contains high levels of sugar as much as 58 g of sugar in a single can. The sweet taste is produced from the high fructose corn syrup which can damage teeth by causing plague to build up.
3) The sugar content in Amp energy drinks can also lead to weight gain or in extreme cases, obesity. In cases where consumers take more tha1 or 2 cans a day, the excessive calories will put consumers at risk from increased weight.
4) Although ginseng is mild when taken in isolation, when it is combined with other stimulants such as caffeine it can have severe effects.
You should not consume more than two cans of the AMP energy drink in a single day.
Price and Sales:
A pack of 12 cans of AMP energy drink costs $26.50. Amp is one of the most profitable brands of energy drinks and is touted as the 5th most popular energy drink in the US with a total of $146 million sales in 2015.