Celsius Energy Drink Review : Ingredients, Caffeine & Side Effects
Celsius Energy Drink is among one of the very few that contains a number of natural ingredients. Starting from green tea, ginger roots, several vitamins it also contains minerals like biotin, sodium and taurine. No doubt, it contains almost negligible amount of calories (Sometime termed as negative calories) that gives fat people a green signal and many other reasons to try this out.
No artificial colouring or flavours are added to Celsius, but sugar in form of sucrose is added. The company has conducted experiments that have been use to back the science behind their product and its ability to speed up the metabolism of its consumers.
The ingredients in the Celsius energy drink are listed below :
- Carbonated Filtered Water
- Caramel Color
- Phosphoric Acid
- Natural Flavors
- Sodium Citrate.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Niacin (as nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride)
- Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin)
- Pantothenic Acid
- Chromium (chelate)
- Thermogenic Proprietary Blend
- Guarana extract (seed)
- Green Tea leaf extract (leaf) with EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate)
- Caffeine (as caffeine anhydrous),
- Ginger extract (root)
1) Packed with vitamins – Celsius is made using several vitamins and natural ingredients such as Green Tea with EGCG, Ginger, Calcium, Chromium, B vitamins, and vitamin C. When combined these ingredient work together to increase our metabolic rates and help you burn calories faster.
2) Green Tea – Celsius is formulated using a unique formula based on Green Tea extract that that contains a fixed of EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate). This formulation is believed to help speed up your metabolism and help the body to get rid of excess fat.
3) Guarana (seed) – This extract is found deep the forest of the amazon and is well known for being a natural source of caffeine. Unlike many other energy drinks, Celsius uses guarana seeds instead of the roots, as it contains a concentrated amount of caffeine that is shown to boost energy levels.
4) Ginger Root – The addition of ginger primarily aids in the thermogenesis process which helps the body to produce heat which in turn burns more calories. In addition to this role, ginger adds a distinctive heat and spice to the flavour of the drink
5) Chromium – Celsius contains Chromium which an essential mineral that helps to manage sugar levels in the body.
6) Taurine – a mineral used by the body as a building block for protein. It is used to help managed conditions like heart failure, increased blood pressure and high cholesterol.
7) Cynocobalamin – is a vitamin that is used to help person who have low blood levels. It is the mana-made form of the vitamin B12 which plays a major role in the functioning of the immune system and health of metabolism and blood cells.
The Celsius Energy Drink is available in 7 flavours:
- Sparkling Cola
- Sparkling Orange
- Sparkling Wild Berry
- Peach Mango Green Tea
- Raspberry Acai Green Tea
- Sparkling Watermelon
- Sparkling Grape
Celsius energy drink contains 200 mg caffeine per 12 oz can, which equates to 16.67 mgs of caffeine per fluid ounce (56.36mg/100 ml).
Drink most commonly used for
1) Celsius has been promoted as aiding in weight loss when consumed once a day; as such it used before or after works outs to boost metabolism and burn calories.
2) Celsius contains caffeine that speeds up the heart rate and helps increase mental alertness and prevent tiredness or fatigue.
3) Celsius is often used to help improve athletic performance; it provides a fast burst of energy that may be needed before intense physical activity.
4) Celsius is packed with several vitamins and as such is consumed by persons who want a refreshing drink that contains essential vitamins and minerals.
Celsius has a deep flavor with a strong after taste. Most persons enjoy the watermelon, Cola and Mango Peach Flavours. However other users have reported the taste to be artificial or medicinal and masks vitamins and as such did not enjoy the taste.
Celsius Energy Drink Side Effects
1) This product contains a significant amount of caffeine, which can be damaging to your health if not taken as prescribed. Overconsumption of caffeine can lead to anxiety, loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping and headaches.
2) Celsius uses sucrose in place of the more commonly used sugar. Sucrose has been shown to have side effects such as drowsiness, anxiety, and change in blood pressure.
Persons have also reported suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and also from shortness of breath. Consuming artificial sweeteners has been linked with cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
3) Heavy consumption of energy drinks can cause increase in the heart rate, leading to cardiac arrest and even death. Persons have also experienced symptoms such as jitters, nausea or diarrhea as a result of overconsumption of caffeine.
4) Niacin is a primary ingredient in the Celsius energy drink however persons have been shown to suffer from allergic reactions after usage. It can also cause serious problems to develop in the digestive system such as thickening of the urine. In other instance persons have developed skin rashes, allergies, nausea, irregular heartbeat and muscle pain among others.
Daily limit and warning if exceeded
It is recommended that your drink no more than 2 servings (can, stick or scoop) in a single day. Additionally there should be ample time between the consumption of each serving.
Death News Associated with the Drink
To date there have been no reported cases of death as result of consuming the Celsius energy drink.
Price and Sales
A pack of 24 cans of Celsius energy drink costs $40.81. Revenues for the fiscal year 2014 totaled approximately $17.2 million. During the years 2013 – 2014 Celsius has seen an increase in growth which is projected to continue.