How to Make Horchata Milkshake at Home – Horchata Shake Recipe
Horchata pronounced as or-chah-tah is a traditional Mexican beverage made with rice and nuts. Typically this drink uses the ‘chufa’ nut and does not contain milk. The chufa nut is very good for human body. It is composed of high levels of iron and potassium that benefits the body is several aspects. It does not contain sodium, is very low in fat content, and is valued for its minerals and vitamins.
Here is a variation of the traditional Mexican recipe using almonds instead of chufa for making Horchata ‘Milkshake. It depends on your taste whether you want to go with traditional chufa nut or almond. If you can arrange for chufa nut then try with it.
Follow the recipe below to make Horchata Milkshake at home :
Ingredients needed :
- 1 cup raw long grain white rice.
- 2 medium cinnamon sticks.
- 1/4 cup whole raw almonds.
- 1/3 cup sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence.
- 3 cups water.
- 1 pinch of powdered cinnamon for garnish.
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar for garnish.
- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 bananas (optional).
- 4 medium strawberries (optional)
Recipe (Making Process):
- In a bowl, cover the rice with the water. Add the cinnamon sticks and keep at room temperature for at least 3 hours or overnight. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Now transfer the complete mixture into the blender. Prepare a puree of it after adding almonds, some sugar and vanilla essence. Rinse the blender.
- After sieving, return the horchata to the blender. Add the ice cream and few ice cubes and blend. Pour the shake into glasses, sprinkle some cinnamon and powdered sugar on top and serve.
For making fruit flavored horchata:
- Add banana or strawberries to the sieved horchata along with the ice cream and blend.
- Pour the shake into glasses, sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top and serve.
- Rice contains carbohydrates and different types of Vitamin B, D, calcium, fiber, iron, and a variety of minerals that are essential for our bodies.
- Almonds are known for their innumerable health benefits like nourishment of the nervous system, reducing heart attack risk, lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol. Almonds provide healthy fat and help in weight loss.
- By not including ice cream in the recipe, the horchata shake can work well for those who are lactose intolerant or those who want to lose weight.
- Addition of fruits into the shake ensures ones intake of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
The Horchata milkshake is a healthy yet tasty option for all the health conscious foodies. It can be used as a breakfast beverage or can be served ice cold for parties. Well, one of the less tried health drinks in India for sure!