Mother’s Horlicks – Benefits, Flavours & Price
Mother’s Horlicks, a special and superior variant of the dietary supplement Horlicks, was launched in the year 1977, scientifically designed keeping in mind the nutritional requirements of breast-feeding and pregnant women.
This nutritional supplement has been re-launched in the year 2014 with an all new flavours, as a special food for lactating and pregnant mothers. It contains all the twenty seven essential nutrients which are vital for the all-round development and health of the baby and the mother.
Mother’s Horlicks during pregnancy :
Mother’s Horlicks is a supplementary drink, which, when consumed on a regular basis, helps to satisfy the increased calorie needs of women during pregnancy. It contains several micro-nutrients such as Iodine, Folic acid, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin B12, D, and B6 which are known to improve the birth weight of a baby.
Supplementation or dietary intervention during pregnancy can enhance the emission of these micro-nutrients in the breast milk. It supplies other nutrients as well, such as Vitamins B12, A, B2, B1, and B6, Selenium and Iodine which refine the quality of the breast milk during the lactation period.
The period of mental growth or development in children begins from twelve weeks of pregnancy till the age of three years. The sensitive and important period for associated behavioral abilities and neural development in a child is from the period of prenatal life till early infancy. Even the smallest nutritional deficiencies during the vital growth period of a child can cause learning disabilities.
In small infants, a lack of the essential and key nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Iron and Folic acid can hinder the development of the brain and the nervous system. Other nutrients such as Zinc and Iodine are vital for proper development of the brain cells.
Mother’s Horlicks contains such nutrients which are known to help in the normal functioning of the brain of an infant.
Health benefits of Women’s Horlicks :
- DHA and Choline, which are required for the healthy development of the eyes, nerves and brain, are not easily available in the average Indian diet. These nutrients contribute to psycho-motor development in babies and constitute around 40 percent of the PUFA or the polyunsaturated fatty acid in the infant’s brain which is essential for the growth of the nerves and the eyes.
- Regular consumption of this malted drink protects the cells in the body, releases energy in the food, absorbs iron into the cells of the body and helps to remove tiredness and fatigue which is very common with pregnant women.
- As it is a malted drink, it helps to keep hunger at bay and thus induces deeper and sounder sleep, which is essential for the health of pregnant and lactating women.
- It contains potassium, sodium and chloride, which help in maintaining the electrolyte balance in the body.
- The Vitamin K contributes to normal clotting of blood, and the phosphorus, Vitamin D and elemental calcium help in the development of strong teeth and bones of the baby.
- The Vitamin A, Vitamin E , Vitamin D, Zinc, Copper and Selenium enhance the anti-oxidant function of the body and provide a healthy immunity to the baby.
- The protein that Mother’s Horlicks contains, apart from providing nutrition to the mother, also boosts and enhances the growth of the baby.
When to start taking Mothers Horlicks ?
A pregnant women who is a minimum 3 months pregnant is eligible to use this product. At that period of time, the fetus gets perfectly conceived by the mother and very less chances are left for miscarriage.
Flavours in which Mother’s Horlicks is available :
Mother’s Horlicks is available in the market in a wide variety of flavors including the classic malt flavour, chocolate flavour and the vanilla flavour.
Any known side effects ?
No such side effects are known till date, as it contains no artificial sweeteners, no artificial colors and no added preservatives.
Mother Horlicks Price :
The 500g pack of Mother’s Horlicks will cost you around Rs. 450 in India.