Why should you drink less water at night or before sleeping?
There are several benefits of drinking water and an average adult should drink 2 to 3 liters of water daily. Drinking inadequate water shall make one fall sick as there are several purposes that are being served by drinking the right quantity of water: it regulates the body temperature, helps in the metabolic process, flushes out toxins, and performs several other important functions.
Water benefits the most as far as your stomach is empty. If you are drinking water in large quantity before going to sleep or after having dinner, then you would face consequences. Drinking water in an unmeasured quantity during night can have harmful effects on the body.
There is a way of drinking water; it should be drunk in the right quantity and at the right time. One should drink very less water at night or before going to sleep. The reasons have been enumerated below:
- The most obvious and foremost reason for not drinking a lot of water before sleeping is that, it will make you visit the washroom in the middle of the night, thereby, causing disturbance in sleep. Water should, therefore, be drank sometime (an hour) before sleeping.
- Drinking a lot of water before sleeping can cause problems in the kidneys as well. Since, the body is not active, the water does not get utilized fully and the drainage system of the kidneys does not function properly. It is, therefore, best not to drink too much water during sleeping.
- The urinary bladder is elastic in nature and contracts and expands accordingly, upon drinking water. During the night it should be left to remain in its original state as drinking too much of water would imply that the bladder would remain expanded throughout the night and the water would not be able to pass out from the body. Repeating these days after days would cause harm to the bladder.
- Drinking too much of water before going to sleep might cause water retention in the body. This shall affect not only the renal system but also the circulatory system of the body. Retention can also cause serious problems like urinary tract infection.
- Drinking too much water before sleep can also lead to the dropping of the salt level in the body. This is a serious condition which can cause swelling of the brain and affect the nervous system.
- The fall in the sodium level of the body can cause cell swelling (which also includes Brain cells). This can cause loss of consciousness, seizures and other related neurological problems. However, this happens due to over hydration and only if a man drinks more than required quantity of water.
- If one drinks too much of water before going to bed, then it does not get utilized by the body. As the body remains inactive and passive, no calorie is lost and no sweat is shed. Hence, the retained water disturbs the electrolyte balance of the body, causing complications in the renal system.
It can, therefore, be seen that though water is considered to be the elixir of life, it should be drank in a proper fashion. Too much of water or too less of water might cause health complications affecting the organs adversely. Also, the time factor has to be kept in mind. It is best to drink water proportionately throughout the day, rather than drinking a lot at one time before going to bed. To avoid dehydration and over hydration, the above points should be kept in mind.